Fire and Emergency Services Levy

“It isn't new. It's just fairer”

The NSW Government will introduce a fairer system for collecting the levy that helps fund our community’s fire and emergency services.

For each property you own you will be charged the applicable fixed and variable amount based on the unimproved value of your land as determined by the NSW Valuer General. Use the calculator below to check the rates applicable:

Fire and Emergency Services Levy rates and calculator

What is the Fire and Emergency Services Levy (FESL)?

From 1 July 2017 fire and emergency services will be funded through the Fire and Emergency Services Levy (FESL), to be paid alongside council rates replacing the insurance-based Emergency Services Levy.

Council will clearly list the new levy on your council rates notices as a separate item and it will be paid in the same way as council rates with the option of paying quarterly or annually.

The FESL commences on 1 July 2017, and will replace the existing Emergency Services Levy payable on insurance premiums.  Most people have been paying the insurance-based Emergency Services Levy via their property insurance premiums.  From 1 July 2017, the levy to fund the cost of the emergency services agencies is being calculated and collected a new way – via council rates notices.

The change will be budget-neutral and will not impact the level of funding provided to the State’s fire and emergency services.

For further information please go to

Further questions regarding the new levy should be directed to the NSW Treasury by phoning 1300 78 78 72 or emailing

Land Classification under the FESL

Each property in Council’s area has been classified under one of six categories for the purpose of levying the FESL.  Those classifications are:

  • Government Land
  • Public Benefit Land
  • Farmland
  • Residential
  • Commercial
  • Industrial

Residential, Commercial and Industrial are further split between vacant and non-vacant.  Vacant is defined as having no buildings or structures on the land that are being used or that could be used for a residential, industrial or commercial purpose, and the land is not being used for storage or treatment of goods, materials or any other thing.

If you wish to apply for a change of classification please download the form.